GIZ. Solutions that work.
As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for
sustainable development and international education work, we are
dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has
over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including
economic development and employment promotion, energy and the
environment, and peace and security. The diverse expertise of our
federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German
Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the
private sector and governments of other countries. We work with
businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering
successful interaction between development policy and other policy
fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the
German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and
The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2019,
we generated a business volume of around EUR 3.1 billion. Our
22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff,
work in around 120 countries. As a recognised development service
provider, we currently have 556 development workers in action in
partner countries. Furthermore, in 2019, the Centre for International
Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and
the German Federal Employment Agency, placed 262 integrated
experts and 515 returning experts with local employers in our
partner countries, or provided them with financial support, advice or
The global programme “Migration for Development” (PME) works
on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic
Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and is implemented by the
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ).
The PME aims at creating opportunities for returning migrants as Vacancy Announcement 031
well as for the local population (potential migrants). To this end,
the PME has established a structure for employment promotion,
migration and reintegration advice, the Nigerian-German Center
for Jobs Migration and Reintegration (NGC). The NGC provides
individual counselling services and advice on prospects for both
returning and potential migrants in Nigeria, economic
(re)integration support, information on vocational and educational
perspectives and employment opportunities including
entrepreneurship and self-employment.
The Communication Officer will ensure a well-articulated, target
focused and cost-effective communication and information
dissemination as it relates to the goals, activities and
achievements of the project, in line with the GIZ Communication
The Communications Advisor performs the following tasks:
• Develop and steer the implementation of a communication
and visibility plan for the project.
• Develop and implement innovative and effective
communication/media strategies and integrate strategies
with the initiatives of the project. In particular, develop and
implement an online and social- media communication
strategy, including the management of the NGC socialmedia platform (eg. Facebook, Startfinder)
• Document, package and disseminate knowledge
synthesized from project activities and implementation in
formats useful to diverse stakeholders; in particular
regularly develop content for the internet and social- media
presence of the project in close coordination with the
Coordinators and Team Leader.
• Write and document project achievements, success stories
and support development of case studies about
interventions and results.
• Document relevant experiences, lessons learnt and best
• Coordinate communication to the media, such as press
conferences, media interviews and briefings in close
coordination with the Team Leader.
• Support editing of articles, development of press releases,
publications and ensure consistency in design of
• Coordinate and ensure that project communication outputs
are published and circulated widely among stakeholders,
partners and donors. Vacancy Announcement 031
• Contract and manage communication external service
providers (e.g. graphic design, printing, photography and
videography, web- content development)
• Provide quality assurance for all communication activities,
outputs and deliverables; in particular ensure consistent
implementation of GIZ, communication and visbility
• Ensure regular coordination and cooperation on
communication and visibility related issues with other GIZ
• Ensure/coordinate the generation (including research) of
knowledge required for project implementation.
• Write/edit contents for PR materials and knowledge
• Ensure/coordinate production of PR and knowledge
• Maintain the project’s information and documentation
• Engage in other activities assigned by the Team Leader or
B. Required qualifications, competencies and experience
• Minimum of bachelor’s degree in communication and
Media Science, Journalism, Linguistic Sciences (English),
Social Sciences or a related field of study.
• Minimum of five years’ professional experience in a
comparable position particularly in the field of employment
Other experiences and skills
• Strong conceptual thinking and target group-oriented
• Excellent communication skills (spoken and written) in
English are required. Good knowledge of German
language is desirable.
• Excellent editing skills.
• Good working knowledge of ICT and computer applications
(MS Office – Word/ Powerpoint/ Publisher, Adobe -
Illustrator/Indesign/Acrobat Pro/Photoshop etc.)
• Intercultural competence and ability to interact with an
international internal and external audience;
• Sound knowledge of relationship building, relationship
management and networking.
• Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of
• Professional experience on report writing.
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Strong capacity for effective teamwork, high degree of
flexibility, ability to work under pressure of deadlines.
• Attention to detail.Vacancy Announcement 031
• Experience in working/engaging with international
organizations and/or donors
• Willingness to travel in- and outside the country.
You are kindly requested to submit your CV and letter of motivation
as one document with complete contact details via email to:
(Please include vacancy no. 031 in mail subject)
GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All
qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and
religion are encouraged to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted