The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) - The ECOWAS Commission is one of the eight Regional Economic Communities supporting the African Union to coordinate the implementation of continental and regional integration and development programmes in the West African region.
POSITION : Consultant for Flood Management Programme
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has received a grant from the European Union (EU) through the World Bank toward the cost of the Strengthening Disaster Risk Reduction Coordination, Planning and Policy Advisory Capacity of ECOWAS (TF0A2770), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for the engagement of a flood management consultant.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include the followings as shown below and 'the duration of the contract shall be for an initial period of Eighteen (18) months. The, consultant is expected to be available in the ECOWAS's office in Abuja full time.
- Support and leadership to the Humanitarian and Social Affairs Directorate, in collaboration with other sectorial departments (water, environment, agriculture) on flood management and the establishment of an ECOWAS Disaster Observatory Center;
- Support the ECOWAS Commission in consultation with the member states, regional climate centers and river basin organizations, to develop a regional flood management policy framework:
- Lead the development and provide overall technical guidance of a data and information sharing platform for flood forecasting and flood management (ECOWAS Disaster Observatory Center);
- Build and maintain a knowledge network of experts on flood management and hydro-meteorological disasters in West Africa;
- Provide overall policy guidance on flood and disaster risk management to the ECOWAS Commission and member states;
The ECOWAS Commission now invites eligible Individual Consultants (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. The shortlisting criteria are as follow:
- Advanced university Degree (Master of Sciences or equivalent) in Natural and Environment Sciences, Water Resources Management, Geography, Public Policy or related fields with a strong focus on flood management and flood management policies;
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and implementing flood risk management programs, managing and leading successful teams, working with diverse stakeholders, and managing relations with development partners;
- At least 7 years demonstrated professional work experience in flood and disaster risk management with a strong focus on flood management policies and coordinating regional activities and having completed at least two similar assignments;
- Excellent understanding of the political economy of West Africa and the ECOWAS Commission;
- Work experience in a regional / international organization in a related capacity will be an advantage.
- Must he fluent in one of the official languages of the Commission: English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another would be an advantage.
How To Apply
Candidates should submit their Expression of Interest in a written form in (person, or by mail) to the address below:
The ECOWAS Tender Box,
Office of the Commissioner, General Administration & Conference, Fifth (5th),
Floor of the ECOWAS Commission Headquarters,
Plot 101, Yakubu Gowon Crescent,
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s (Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and iDA Credits & Grants) by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011, revised 2014 ("Consultant Guidelines"), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Selection of individual consultant set out in the Consultant Guidelines.